Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Call...

Romans 11:29 says this... "for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable." (NIV)

My "call" happened somewhere between 11th grade and college at a place called Inspiration Point... why Bible Camps should be number one on the list of things parents should do with their kids each summer. As God did an extreme 180 on my own heart at this little peninsula in central Minnesota, so it is my prayer that my son will experience the same miracles. And in fact, he is doing so. Each summer is a new step of growth for his young heart.

My confirmation of the "call" came while doing a bible study with a bunch of ladies who where triple my age mostly called "Experiencing God." A must for every believer.

And ever since then, I can't shake it. Just feeling the refining process from the potter mostly.

Lately, I've been somewhat frustrated with the call. I kind of want to trade it in for something new, but God's not letting me. He continues to pursue and reinforce, and I continue to not be able to shake it.

What's interesting to me is that the call doesn't change even when the circumstances of your service become complicated. For example, when a leader gets all broken by sin... and has to step down. If the heart is open, God then begins a process called restoration... to the same call. Remember, the gifts and the call are irrevocable. The Message bible says it this way, "God's gifts and God's call are under full warrenty--never canceled, never rescinded." So what happens, if the heart is open, is that God says something like this, "OK, you messed up. Let me heal you so I can use you again." He does! My life is a testimony to this.

OR, how about when you serve under an oppressive leader? Your automatic response might be to just quit. Duh, right? The leader is oppressive so walk away! Not necessarily. God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. A wise friend of mine once told me that you can't leave a place unless God opens a door for a new place and leads you to it. Sure you can try to make the doors fly open, but God will shut them if it's YOU doing the moving and not him moving you. Who do you serve? The oppressive leader or a mighty God? Who do you respond to when he calls? The oppressive leader or you Father? The KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS?

So, I sit before you tonight, all three of you who read this, cemented to this call. I can't shake it. I can't walk away from it. I can't leave it. It is who I am and by the grace of God, I will remain.

Somebody get me a latte! Make it a triple.

1 comment:

Henrik and Carrie said...

Reader one signing in. Just wanted you to know that it is a blessing to read what you share!

your friend and sister in Christ, C