Friday, April 13, 2007

Easter again...


So, Easter has come and gone again. It's one of those holidays that should bring me joy as a Christian, but it only wears me out. From the kids singing in church, to new outfits, to baskets, and eggs... I sometimes get tired of the rat race our culture has made out of holidays. We had a nice meal at home, with several friends over, and then we all laid down for a long afternoon nap. Rest. In my opinion, all holidays should be like this. Eat and rest. Of course, we succumbed to the worldy tradition of coloring eggs and hiding them in our yard for our two year old to find. Even though he went to church that morning, I am pretty sure his best Easter memory will be finding those darned eggs. It's all backwards. I am considering skipping it next year. Not church, but eggs.

Recently, I have been reading up on fasting, and on taking the Sabbath day and keeping it holy. This has been good for me to continue to grow to understand. There's something about being intentional for God... some amazing thing that He meets us right in our stuff and blesses us through the process. I'm thankful for these things I don't understand completely, because even though it's a learning process and I'm a bit of a skeptic on all things, it's better to fast and rest than color Easter eggs and hide them in your yard. One is spiritual exercise, the other, well... just fluffy stuff in my opinion. And in the end, does the fluffy stuff I invest in really matter?

I'm going to do a church wide fast with my church. I'm not going to tell you when or where, though, because the Bible is clear that we are to fast in secret and that we are to even go out of our way to look good during a fast so no one knows we're starving ourselves, or in a period of deprivation. I've never done a fast for more than 24 hours. And I've never done one with a bunch of others at the same time. But, I'm going to do it. Not because they want me to, but because I'm curious to see what God will do with my heart during the time. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: